Changing the name of National Insurance

Earlier on I saw news that George Osborne was thinking of changing the name of National Insurance to “Earnings Tax”.

The Taxpayers Alliance seemed pretty chuffed…..

Others weren’t so sure…..

I’m of the opinion of a different choice of name than “Earnings Tax”. We’ve already got an “Earnings Tax”, it’s called Income Tax. I’ve thought maybe “Health & Welfare Contributions T ax” would be more appropriate (and use it ONLY for that), or just get on with merging it into a Flat Income Tax, and stick it in a breakdown as “Income Tax: Health & Welfare Contributions”.

UPDATE: The Taxpayer’s Alliance have made a follow-up post on Facebook….

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

One thought on “Changing the name of National Insurance”

Leave a Reply